Thursday, January 9, 2014

Welcome from our Student Teacher - Miss Borowski




Hello! My name is Jenn Borowski and I am a senior majoring in Elementary Education at the University of Vermont. I am from Annandale, New Jersey and love to snowboard, go camping, and play guitar.


In the back of my mind, I think I always knew that I would become a teacher. My aunt has taught in third, fourth, and fifth grade and my mom is a paraprofessional who works one-on-one with children with special needs. While in high school, I frequently volunteered in my mom’s classroom and saw how she taught her students valuable skills and made a large impact in their lives. I think this was the major factor that directed me towards wanting to become a teacher myself.


Growing up, I had a great deal of experience working with children. In high school, I volunteered to be a coach with Special Olympics. I spent over two months working with an athlete to help them achieve their goal of participating in the main event. I participated in the program all four of my years in high school. This experience taught me patience, understanding, and dedication; all of which I believe are qualities that a successful teacher should possess. During high school, I was also a member of my local rescue squad and volunteered on Saturday nights. As an EMT, I was able to interact with children and their families and provide help as needed. This experience was extremely rewarding.


As for my experience in the classroom, I have had the opportunity to be placed in four different grade levels at three different schools. In the fall of 2012, I was placed in a second grade classroom at Rick Marcotte Central School in South Burlington, VT. During this placement, I learned how to construct and teach group lessons and worked with students one-on-one. In the spring of 2013, I was in a third grade classroom at John F. Kennedy Elementary School in Winooski, VT. Over this past fall semester, I was part of a fifth grade classroom at Hinesburg Community School in Hinesburg, VT. I was glad to have a chance to work with upper level students and teach lessons on creative writing and various fifth grade math topics like the traditional algorithm. However, I am so excited to have the opportunity to be back at JFK and be in a first grade class with all of your students. I can’t wait to help them learn and discover new things over the next four months! I look forward to working with your students and meeting all of you.


Sincerely,

Jennifer Borowski

No comments:

Post a Comment